We are happy to announce Charter House has been named winner of the Post Bulletin’s 2021 “Best of the Best” award for Best Senior Living Community in Rochester. This win marks the 5th year in a row for Charter House to have this honor. We want to thank all of our residents, staff, and friends that support us. We are so proud to do the work that we do each day because of you. Thank you!
Charter House is once again in the running for the Post-Bulletin’s Best of the Best Award! We would very much appreciate your support in helping us be recognized for this prestigious award. To vote, follow the instructions below, and thank you for your support!
Due to the increased positivity rate of COVID-19 in Olmsted County, and the contagiousness of the Delta variant, we have decided to cancel the Charter House 32nd Annual Sidewalk Sale. We are hopeful to bring this community enrichment program back again and encourage you to continue to support Rochester’s local non-profits.
You’re invited to our 32nd annual Sidewalk Sale!
Friday, August 20, 2021
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Charter House – 211 2nd St NW, Rochester, MN 55901
Join us for one of Rochester’s largest annual sales! Find furniture, appliances, antiques, décor, books, paintings, and much more. Since we were unable to hold our Sale last year, this year we have DOUBLE THE ITEMS!
Sale proceeds will benefit local nonprofits: Rochester Public Library Foundation, Ronald McDonald House, Thrive Child Care and Family Resource Center, and Family Promise Rochester.
Find our event on Facebook. Sale will be held rain or shine.
On January 5, 2021 Thrifty White pharmacy staff partnered with Charter House Health Services to administer the first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to the residents living within our Short Term Rehabilitation Center, Assisted Living and Supportive Living. The second dose of the vaccine will be scheduled for the first week of February 2021.
We have confirmed the date of January 19, 2021 with Thrifty White pharmacy to partner with Charter House Health Services to administer the first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to our residents living within Independent Living.
Charter House staff have been offered and many have received the first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine through the Mayo Clinic employee COVID-19 vaccine process.
For additional information about the COVID-19 vaccines visit:
After the Vaccine
Even after receiving the vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) state we will need to continue to wear masks, maintain physical distance, avoid being with others who are ill and hand sanitize frequently. Loosening restrictions will be based on guidelines from CDC and MDH as well as the positivity rate we see in our community, county and state.
All Charter House staff continue to get tested for COVID-19 twice weekly, and have since October 2020. We continue to test residents living within our care venues weekly for COVID-19.
Charter House is now a proud user of HappyGram! HappyGram is a free card-delivery service for senior living communities.
How to Use HappyGram
You can use HappyGram to send messages to your loved ones just as easy as you would send a text or an email. Simply click here and fill in the information to find Charter House. Then you can submit your message – you can also attach a picture. Your entry will be created by HappyGram and sent to Charter House to print and deliver to your loved ones.
This service gives a personalized message from you that can be held and cherished by those that receive it. We hope you enjoy using HappyGram to brighten the day of someone you love!
The information below is related to COVID-19 testing and vaccine administration at Charter House.
We have partnered with a local pharmacy for vaccine administration to our residents living within our care venues. Administration of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is currently scheduled for the first week of January 2021. Charter House Health Services RNs will administer the vaccine. The second dose of the vaccine will be administered 28 days after the first vaccine dose.
Due to state mandates for prioritization, residents living within our independent living will receive the vaccine after it has been administered to residents living with our skilled nursing facility and assisted living. We continue to work with our local pharmacy to arrange for vaccine administration for independent living residents.
Charter House staff will be vaccinated through the Mayo Clinic employee COVID-19 vaccine process. Long term care staff are in the first phase for receiving the vaccine. The vaccine is recommended but not mandatory for staff. For additional information about the COVID-19 vaccines visit: https://mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19
All Charter House staff and contractors have undergone twice weekly COVID-19 testing since October. We will continue this process into the new year.
As we have been living through the uncertainty of this pandemic for the last many months, one thing remains clear – At Charter House, the health and safety of our residents always comes first.
Here are a few updates regarding our current practices at Charter House.
- Visits: Charter House has a restricted visitor policy aligning with Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) guidelines.
- Residents within Independent Living can choose to visit with loved ones outside of Charter House (such as on our patio space, walking around the building, going to a child’s home). We highly encourage them to maintain social distance and keep their face masks on during visits.
- Residents living within our care areas can visit with family via patio visits, window visits, and Zoom visits.
- In September, we conducted a successful pilot of indoor visits in accordance with the MDH Level 2 Visitation guidelines.
- On October 12th, MDH released new guidance for indoor visits. Charter House is ready to implement indoor visits after we have gone 14 days without any new positive cases of COVID in staff or residents.
- COVID-19 testing: One of our newest and most exciting developments is our testing processes instituted as part of a routine surveillance for COVID.
- On September 29 & 30 we tested nearly 700 individuals – residents who consented to participate and all staff. We are thrilled to report all tested were negative.
- In addition, we have been testing all Charter House staff for the past several weeks and plan to continue through at least the end of October. Testing frequency for staff is dependent on several factors such as the COVID positivity rate within Olmsted County.
- Per MDH guidance, we test residents living within our care areas for COVID on a weekly basis until we reach 14 days with no new positive cases. Any new case in a resident or staff restarts our testing cycle.
- Daily staff health-screening: Since April, each Charter House employee has undergone screening before start of each work shift.
- Staff is instructed take their temperature and monitor for any symptoms twice daily while at home.
- Now all who enter Charter House have their temperature taken and are asked questions regarding symptoms and potential exposure to COVID.
- The screening is conducted by a new, specially-trained Mayo Clinic screening team.
Due to COVID-19, our guest apartments are closed for the foreseeable future. We are not taking reservations at this time. We will update this notice when it is safe to lift restrictions and resume taking reservations. Our focus during this time remains on meeting the health and safety needs of our residents who live here.
We’d like to share a few of the many thank you notes we’ve received from our residents and their families. We are feeling the love and are sending it right back! We are so thankful for these tokens of appreciation and solidarity during uncertain times.
“We are the luckiest people in the whole USA, to be living in Charter House, Rochester Minnesota, during this terrible pandemic. The services provided here are unmatched any place, and deliverers are always smiling. We can’t get over it, and have thanked every human being who has shown up at our door. I can’t thank you all enough, we are so eternally grateful.” – Charter House Resident
“Thank you, Charter House staff for keeping everyone safe and healthy during these unsettling times. My brother and I count our blessings that our parents live in such a good, caring environment. With deepest appreciation.” – Resident Family Member
“We want to thank everyone for what you are doing to make it as comfortable and pleasant as you can for us residents. Just be aware, we as residents, know you are taking extra steps every day to keep us safe and well. The Fitness Center employees provide exercises on our floors. The food we order comes hot and delicious often with enjoyable little cards from the wait staff. We have coffee delivered with fruit and sweets. Movies and books we can borrow and now bingo we can play. We appreciate the communication through newsletters keeping us informed. We thank you so much for all you do. There is no place like Charter House!!!!” – Charter House Resident
“Over the past few weeks I’ve been thinking about how grateful I am for your work at Charter House, keeping residents safe, and the many ways I hear of you all going the extra mile to make this enforced social distancing more bearable for everyone under your oversight. I am very thankful that my mother is being so well looked after and cared about. Add to that many other folks there who have become friends over the years.” – Resident Family Member
“I want to thank the Charter House Staff for keeping us residents safe and comfortable. Our needs are taken care of so effectively that it’s easy to overlook the fact that those who provide such dedicated service have their own pressing concerns – for their own safety, looking after their loved ones, providing care for their children, shopping for food and other necessities, and doing all the ‘little things’ that we residents don’t have to think about. I’m sure I express the feelings of many residents when I say ‘Thank You. I’m deeply grateful.'” – Charter House Resident